Lateral Academy TENTATIVELY set to start November 14, 2016.
A currently sworn and certified law enforcement officer
- Must be 21 years of age.
- Must have a valid driver's license and obtain a New Mexico driver's license within 30 days of your hire date.
- Must be a United States citizen.
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
- No felony convictions. Criminal activity in which applicant has been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any felony charge, been involved in any prosecution diversion program (PPP) as adjudicated for a felony crime committed will be permanently disqualified. Felony arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No misdemeanor convictions within the last 3 years from the date of initial testing. Candidates who within 3 years preceding their written test date, have been convicted of, pled guilty to, or entered a plea of nolo contendere to any violation of federal law, state law, or local ordinance that would be classified as a misdemeanor crime, will be reviewed on an individual basis and may be cause for disqualification (does not include minor traffic violations). Misdemeanor arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- No DWI convictions within the last five years from the date of initial testing, whether from an administrative sanction by a Motor Vehicle Department, criminal conviction, or military disciplinary action. Multiple DWIs in the most recent 10 year period disqualifies an individual as an applicant. (Multiple is defined as 2 or more DWIs). DWI arrests will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
- An applicant cannot have been convicted of a Domestic Violence Act. Domestic related arrests will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- No use in the last 3 years of any illegal drug that would amount to a misdemeanor crime if found in possession (includes marijuana).
- No use in the last 5 years of any illegal drug that would amount to a felony crime if found in possession (includes felony prescription drug use).
- Any financial accounts referred to collections, written or charged off will be reviewed on a case by case basis and may be cause for disqualification.
- Must be currently employed as a certified law enforcement officer (does not include corrections officers) for a city, county or state law enforcement agency.
- Must have 2 years consecutive service from date of hire.
- Must have completed probation.
- Any pending administrative actions with any board or commissions will be reviewed and may be cause for disqualification.This shall include reviewing a lateral hire’s history of using lethal and less lethal force, determining whether the lateral hire has been named in a civil or criminal action; assessing the lateral hire’s use of force training records and complaint history.
Physical Fitness Requirements
- Test #1: Upper Body Strength - Number of Push-Ups in 1 Minute - Minimum 15 Repetitions
- Test #2: 1.5 Mile Run 15:54 (Minutes:Seconds)
- Test #3: 300 Meter Run 71 Seconds
- Test #4: Muscular Endurance - Number of Sit-Ups in 1 Minute - Minimum 27 Repetitions
- Application/Interest Card
- City Entrance Exam
- Physical Fitness Test
- Nelson Denny Exam
- Personal History Statement
- Written Psychological Exam
- Background Investigation
- Polygraph Exam
- Psychological Interview
- Chief’s Selection Board
- City of Albuquerque Employment Application
- Medical Exam/Drug Screen
All lateral officers must successfully complete a 7 week lateral academy
Lateral Officers must attend a Lateral Police Academy. The Lateral Police Academy is a condensed 7 week program in which officers become familiar with the City of Albuquerque city ordinances and the Albuquerque Police Department's standard operating procedures. Instructional areas also include, but are not limited to, physical fitness, defensive tactics, and firearms proficiency. Lateral Officers will need to successfully pass the state Law Enforcement Officer Certification Examination administered by the New Mexico Department of Public Safety. If the applicant does not pass the certification exam, the applicant will have to complete the one week certification by waiver course held in Santa Fe, New Mexico at their own expense.
The principal functions of a police officer are the preservation of the peace and maintenance of order, the prevention and detection of crime, the apprehension of offenders, the protection of persons and property under the law and the performance of the multitude of tasks relating to public welfare and safety.
- $8,000 hiring bonus (paid over the course of your first year after graduation from the academy)
- $28/hr to start immediately upon hire
- Up to $5,000 in relocation assistance (for IRS qualified moving expenses)
- 100 hours sick leave earned immediately upon graduation from the academy
- 100 hours vacation leave earned immediately upon graduation from the academy